Friday, January 24, 2014

The Man from the British Virgin Islands

There was some confusion and concern in the Loose Change office yesterday when the previous links in FungWatch: offshore tax havens were revisited. The name Fung Wing Cheung, Tony didn't seem to appear any longer in a database search with "details withheld" displayed instead on the graphics screen.

ICIJ have now updated their leaks database including the release of further details. A Loose Change scoop can now reveal that there is enough information to suggest the person identified would indeed appear to be our Aquis developer Hong Kong Tony. Although perhaps the man from the British Virgin Islands (BVI) would be more appropriate?

A direct link to the offshore leaks database should reveal this screen:

 

The green nodes are the related entities. These are also listed as:
 
 
Click on the green nodes to expand the links and the screen links keep expanding out into a spaghetti network to become something like this:
 
 
 
I haven't scrutinised all the information in detail but there is enough to confirm the identity as being Tony Fung. These include links to corporations which have previously emerged on related searches and persons associated with those which also include references to the Yu Ming companies known to have been associated with Tony Fung.
 
The screenshot also shows a link from Well Harvest Properties Limited to an address: Unit 1001. 10'F.. Aon China Building. 29 Queens Road Central Hong Kong. This is the address of Wing Cheung Tony Fung which appears on ASIC registration documents as the owner of the single $1 share in Aquis Resort at The Great Barrier Reef  Pty Ltd.
 
Well Harvest is the shareholder of both Domus Mercury and Giant Smart where Fung is also listed above as a director. Tony Fung holds 60% of Well Harvest with the other 40% held by Axenia Holdings. Axenia is also listed in the offshore leaks database with an extensive network of corporate links via the British Virgin Islands.
 
The leaked database information relates to the period up until 2010. Again the warning posted at ICIJ should be noted and there is nothing here to imply anything inappropriate:

There are legitimate uses for offshore companies and trusts. We do not intend to suggest or imply that any persons, companies or other entities included in the ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database have broken the law or otherwise acted improperly. If you find an error in the database please get in touch with us.

Just to demonstrate how corporate links to offshore tax havens such as the British Virgin Islands do not indicate anything inappropriate there are also some fine Australian citizens whose names appear in the database. These include a Barry O'Sullivan from Toowoomba and his Asia Pacific Claims Management Corporation.

Barry is the man well known for his infamous bullying abuse of businessman, ex-councillor, and then LNP candidate for Cairns, Paul Freebody. Barry is a lovely chap and has now been cleared of an allegation by the CMC and is all set to replace Barnaby Joyce as Senator for Queensland. While the details of leaked records related to Greater China were withheld until this week other details including Australia were released last year:  Accounts queried in tax sweep

Note: There is no link here or suggestion of any between Barry and Tony Fung.

Further reports and database can be accessed via ICIJ

No comments:

Post a Comment